Friday, January 20, 2012

Ferociously calm...

I think everyone has that ferocity inside of them; its part of our genes, its our instinct.

 

Bhairava is an important deity of the Newars. All the traditional settlements of Newars have at least a temple of Bhairava. Kala Bhairava, is a Hindu deity, a fierce manifestation of Shiva associated with annihilation. He is often depicted with angry eyes and sharp, tiger's teeth and flaming hair, stark naked except for garlands of skulls and a coiled snake about his neck. In his four hands he carries a  trident, drum, and skull. He is often shown accompanied by a dog

 This deity fascinates me because so far all the other deities I have observed, I have always found them in a calm and soothing position. However, the fierce, however strong and bold look on Lord Kala Bhairav reminds me that as humans have different personality and mood in different hours, the same applies to the deities! Also, the strength and power management skill in Bhairav impresses and inspires me to empower myself not only physically but mentally as well. Moreover he is also known as the manifestation of Lord Shiva who manages time. So while in Grade 8, I made this sketch of his impressed by the various characters he possesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment